Thursday, February 10, 2011

"Instant" Oatmeal

Here is the secret to my mornings..."Instant" Oatmeal.

Instant Oatmeal
Especially on the cold (and sometimes snowy) mornings of the winter, oatmeal hits the spot.  I saw this post last year from Life as Mom to make instant oatmeal packets, but one of the issues I had with pre-packaged oatmeal packets (besides price) was portion size.   While my 5 year old can polish off a packet no problem, my 2 year old is full with half that amount.  I like storing this mix in a jar so I can portion out the amount I need.


"Instant" Oatmeal

2 cups quick-cooking oats

3 Tbs. dry milk powder

3 Tbs. brown sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. salt


Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl or large quart-size jar.  Stir or shake to combine, making sure to break up any lumps of brown sugar.  Store in glass jar until ready to use.  When ready, portion out the amount (i.e. 1/3 cup) adding equal amount of hot, boiling water.  Stir and allow to sit for about a minute (if your children are more patient than mine).  May be thinned a bit with a splash of milk, if desired.


For more great ideas, you can check out Frugal Food Thursday at Frugal Follies.

No comments:

Post a Comment