Monday, September 10, 2012

Menu Plan Monday - September 10, 2012

Chugging along.  Nutcracker auditions were this weekend and the weather suddenly turned to Fall (at least temporarily).  I'm trying to quickly post this menu so that I can get back to planning out the menu for Rosh Hashana next week.  It has snuck up on me quickly and I feel like I need to map out some things that I can do this week, so that next Sunday doesn't become the crazy cooking day.  Yesterday I was able to get a big batch of chicken broth made and in the freezer - 5 quarts.  I'll use some for soup this week, but mostly for matzo ball soup next week.

 I also experimented with my challah dough this week.  I substituted pomegranate juice (warmed in the microwave) for the water in the dough.  I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures.  The dough had a slight pink-y purple hue and after letting it rise in the fridge overnight, by Friday morning it had a sweet/almost sourdough smell to it.  The dough was a bit soft to work with and after the first braid, it was already "blowing out" the sides a bit.  The remaining dough I put in baking pans.  Actually, the pans were those tortilla bakers.  Have you seen the infomercial?  Well, I have had them for over 10 years (most likely when they actually manufactured them).  Anyway, those loaves came out really nice.  The taste was subtle, yet definitely sweet.  I think I will be trying it again with the pans.  And next time, I will take a picture :)

Menu for this week -

Monday - Tofu tacos.  After the success of the Mexi-chop salad, I thought this may work with some seasoned pan-fried tofu cubes in place of meat.  And then we can have real sour cream with it, yum!

Tuesday - Pasta primavera or ravioli.  Ravioli was requested, but alas, none in the freezer.  Perhaps I can get out to the store before Tuesday.

Wednesday - Italian Wedding soup (with homemade chicken broth), using Ina Garten's recipe, minus the milk and cheese and using just ground turkey for the meatballs.

Thursday - Homemade Pizza

Friday - Spaghetti and meatballs- another request for the week.


Looking for more menu ideas, please visit MPM at orgjunkie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment